Sunday 24 January 2010

Is a 4 year old Nikon really that old?

Cameras stayed largely unchanged for most of the 20th Century ... a shutter, a lens, a flat plane for film and all you needed was a good eye. I still use a Zeiss Ikon that is older than I am and it works fine (and will keep on working for as long as 120 roll film is around!) But the pace of change in digital means anything older than 2 years is considered 'dated' and 'too old' and the re-sale value of digital is shockingly low.

I recently bought a Nikon D100 from a colleague who was just too glad to find a buyer (or a sucker?) Discontinued in 2005, it's hard to think that this camera, in good working condition, should be shunned simply because it's considered 'obsolete', but on the other hand I obtained a working camera for a good price and this included an excellent (if also obsolete) 28 - 200 Nikon lens .

The D100 has now become my 'official' kayaking camera, I won't feel so bad dropping it in the sea as I would with my D90 (or as I did with my Nikon D80, but as I've said before that's a story for another day.)

You can see a picture taken with the D100 on its first kayak trip on the Folbot blog. The photo is straight off the card with no post processing.

Craig
sunburnt ... and in need of a shave

1 comment:

  1. Old Nikon's never die. My main body is a D300, but for everyday use my D70s is always with me.

    ReplyDelete